Application Deadline: Monday, May 7, 2018
Winner Announcement: August 2018
If you would like to contribute to the ATG Groundbreaker Leadership Scholarship fund, please click on the donate button below. Any level of support is greatly appreciated.
The Against The Grain Groundbreaker Leadership Scholarship provides financial assistance and promotion of Asian American college seniors and graduate students who have exhibited exemplary leadership, vision, and passion that is blazing a trail for others to follow and changing lives in the Asian American community.
Awards: $1,500 to be applied toward school tuition and fees
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be of at least 50% Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity
- Must be a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must be a high school senior, a college senior enrolled full-time at an accredited U.S. four-year college/university or a graduate student enrolled at an accredited U.S. graduate program who will be enrolled in an accredited college/university for the upcoming academic calendar
- Scholarship is open to students of all majors
- Have demonstrated visionary leadership abilities through innovative means
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (unweighted)
- Family members of Board members are ineligible
Video Presentation: All scholarship candidates must submit a video presentation showcasing their work and qualifications:
- Videos will be judged on content, creativity and execution
- Videos are to be submitted on flash drive in the formats .wmv or .mov
Please note that the selected Finalists and Winners will be asked to sign a release from so that we may feature his or her video on our homepage.
Selection Criteria: Selection is based on a rating system judged in five major categories. The candidate with the highest combined cumulative points will receive the scholarship. These categories are:
- Video presentation
- Quality of content submission (essay)
- Academic performance
- Leadership/community service experience and contribution
- Letters of recommendation
- Phone/in-person committee interview
Disbursement: Funds will be disbursed directly to the educational institution in the student’s name.
Please note that those Scholarship Winners will be invited to attend our annual charity event, Fashion for a Passion held in Fall 2015 in Dallas, Texas. Fashion for a Passion is our biggest event of the year which helps to raise money for our charitable causes as well as for the current scholarship. The presence of scholarship winners is highly encouraged.